2020-2021 Dean of Academics and Curriculum
About Gulliver Schools
Gulliver is a co-educational private college preparatory day school established in 1926 in Miami, Florida. One of the largest independent schools in Florida, Gulliver enrolls more than 2,200 students in Grades PreK3-12 on four campuses. Our Mission is to create an academic community devoted to educational excellence, with a personal touch, that fulfills each student’s potential.
Gulliver Schools is currently seeking a Dean of Academics and Curriculum (DAC) to join our team of professionals. The Dean of Academics and Curriculum will assist the Assistant Head of Schools for Grades 9-12 to create, implement, assess, and refine the school’s academic vision within the context of the Upper School program. The DAC will participate in faculty and departmental review as needed and appropriate. The qualified candidate will also participate, as requested, in discussion of curriculum and instruction, as well as in discussions with parents and students when there is a concern in academic matters or issues. The DAC will also play a significant role in the development and review of academic programs and in the school accreditation review process regarding academic program. In addition the position will assist in the development of the AP, IB and other specific programs, and will work with the Guidance department to ensure effective articulation of program across the campuses that are in-line with our counseling programs.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Participate on the Upper School academic leadership team, and the Principals team as necessary; assist in hiring new Upper School teachers.
- Coordinate textbook selection and purchasing processes.
- Help coordinate the CORE program development and implementation
- Coordinate curriculum development, setting academic policies and discussing the academic work of the school with department heads.
- Oversee the scheduling and registration for returning students, new students, and NCAA eligible students. Also, responsible for oversight of add/drop period.
- Be a primary point of contact for day to day faculty and student concerns.
- Work closely with the academic leadership team on issues related to faculty’s classroom experience, evaluation, professional development and hiring.
- Work with counseling departments to ensure that the program of every student is appropriate, challenging and meaningful.
- Help supervise the course selection and grade collection processes.
- Oversee the annual update of the course catalog and student handbook.
- Assist the ARP program and the Dean of Students to guide students with significant academic issues.
- Coordinate and drive the process for metrics about the effectiveness of Gulliver student programs.
- Work with the Assistant Principals and Dean of Students on issues of academic honesty, attendance and classroom behavior.
- Support academic initiatives as appropriate.
- Teach a course as appropriate.
- As needed; collaborate with other leadership teams (e.g.; technology in academics), participate in student, faculty and parent handbook review and publishing, support curriculum mapping work for the Upper School, and provide pedagogical coaching for faculty as needed.
- Master’s Degree or higher
Criminal Background Check, Level II Fingerprint Screening, Drug screen
Gulliver Schools Inc. is an EOE M/F/V/D, Drug Free Workplace