2020-2021 Middle School Counselor
About Gulliver Schools
Gulliver is a co-educational private college preparatory day school established in 1926 in Miami, Florida. One of the largest independent schools in Florida, Gulliver enrolls more than 2,200 students in Grades PreK3-12 on four campuses. Our Mission is to create an academic community devoted to educational excellence, with a personal touch, that fulfills each student’s potential.
Gulliver's Montgomery Dr. Campus is seeking a middle school Counselor for the 2020-2021 school year. Gulliver is an independent, not for profit, non-denominational, co-ed day school with four campuses from PreK3 to 12th grade. The ideal candidate should be passionate about advocating for and supporting students, skilled in nurturing relationships, knowledgeable about the developmental needs and issues for children in grades 5 through 8 and have keen observational skills and compassion.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- being an active and engaged member of the middle school team
- attending and participating in meetings to discuss students in need of support
- monitoring student progress, following through on action items and collaborating and consulting with faculty, administration, and families as needed
- reviewing academic data to identify students in need of academic assistance
- providing responsive counseling, initiating short-term individual and small group support for students’ academic social and personal concerns
- participating in middle school student life by actively engaging in the community (clubs, recess, advisory, field trips)
- preparing topics for parent coffee chats throughout the year
- preparing and participating in program activities (e.g. orientation programs, open houses, faculty meetings, puberty education meetings, workshops, etc.)
- performing day-to-day student supervision duties and engaging fully in all school events that develop the student
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience as a mental health professional in an academically rigorous school setting.
- Master’s degree or higher in school counseling, psychology, social work or related field
- Experience teaching in the classroom
- Experience working with diverse learners
- Ability to analyze, interpret and explain student data and student evaluations and prescribe action for student improvement
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to conduct meetings in small and large groups
- Ability to communicate with groups and speak in public
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Self-starter, problem-solver, and multi-tasker
- Have a positive sense of humor and optimistic outlook, and a highly collaborative nature for working with other dedicated, team-oriented educators
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred
Criminal Background Check, Level II Fingerprint Screening, Drug screen
Internal candidates who meet the minimum qualifications for this position, should submit a cover letter expressing interest and a resume to the Human Resources Department.
Gulliver Schools Inc. is an EOE M/F/V/D Drug Free Workplace