Computer Science Teacher
Gulliver Preparatory School seeks a computer science teacher to join its Engineering Department in the 2018-2019 academic year. Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field is required; advanced degree in field is highly preferred. Working in collaboration with other members of the Engineering Department, the computer science teacher will empower students to be critical thinkers and apply algorithmic analysis and design thinking to solve problems. Preference given to candidates who have experience teaching secondary schools; have worked in a 1:1 technology environment; are comfortable operating in a block schedule; and rely on student-centered pedagogy. Candidates will be expected to collaborate with other instructors inside and outside of the Engineering Department.
The computer science instructor will be expected to:
- Collaborate with classroom teachers and specialists to design and implement Computer Science lessons and units of instruction, and assess student learning and instructional effectiveness.
- Teach a variety of programming courses at the 9th through 12th grade levels, which may vary from a survey course to year-long courses in Python, C++, and Java.
- Extend student learning by applying CS principles and computer programming to other STEM and non-STEM related disciplines.
- Empower students to be critical thinkers, enthusiastic readers, skillful researchers, and ethical users of information
- Visit and teach classes on other campuses as applicable and relevant to the curriculum.
- Understand the school’s curriculum mapping efforts and help develop a curriculum product that enhances both emergent needs and long term teaching goals in computer science.
- Maintain a personal commitment to professional growth
- Encourage the use of instructional technology to engage students and to improve learning. That includes, but is not limited to: flipped learning, online presentation tools, Google Apps for Education, communication tools such as Slack and Trello, and other tools that may be introduced through professional development opportunities.
In collaboration with the Engineering Department Chair, the computer science teacher will:
- Participate in regular professional development
- Follow departmental procedures regarding grading, communication with families, etc.
- Make recommendations about curriculum changes on an as-needed basis
- Promote computer literacy and programming through various campaigns and initiatives
- Mentor teams of students who participate in national competitions/initiatives
Internal candidates who meet the qualifications for the position posted must submit a cover letter expressing interest and a resume to the Human Resources Department. EOE M/F/V/D Drug Free Workplace.