Director of Athletics
Gulliver is a superior college preparatory school devoted to educational excellence, where students are inspired and challenged to reach their fullest potential. At Gulliver, character development is as important as academic achievement and we integrate community values into daily instruction. We are currently seeking a Director of Athletics for the 2019-2020 school year.
The Director of Athletics is responsible for overseeing and promoting overall success of all Gulliver athletic and sports programs. The philosophy of the Athletic Department is education through athletics. Gulliver Athletics derives its mission from the Gulliver Mission Statement in that we have a devotion to excellence with a goal of fulfilling each student-athlete’s potential. At Gulliver, we expect our student athletes to learn the value of respect, leadership, cooperation, effort, sportsmanship and perseverance, while encouraging a lifelong love for sports and fitness.
Gulliver’s Culture & Values
- We are a school community that values educational excellence, a personal touch, and helping each student reach his or her full potential.
- We are dedicated to lifelong learning.
- We embrace a diversity of people, culture and ideas.
- We promote the health and wellbeing of our students and employees.
Specific duties and responsibilities:
The Director of Athletics supervises a team that includes a full time administrative assistant, the assistant athletic director, the Academy athletic director, the sports information coordinator, the Aquatics Director, the Athletic Facilities and Events Coordinator, the athletic, medical and training staffs, and 100+ coaches throughout the school year. Additionally, the Director of Athletics is responsible to:
- Report regularly to the Head of School, and other lead administrators as needed
- Demonstrate an approachable and open spirit among all constituents
- Coordinate hiring and placement, as well as the development, ongoing mentorship and evaluation of coaches and staff
- Oversee proper budgeting and maintenance of athletic equipment and facilities
- Coordinate with Advancement regarding fundraising / capital campaign initiatives
- Manage athletics-related logistics including schedules, contest officials, and transportation; ensure compliance with regulating bodies
- Build school spirit and steward relationships and communicate effectively between athletics and other school constituencies
- Market Gulliver Athletics internally and externally to raise the profile of the program
- Oversee college recruiting process for prospective student-athletes
Gulliver participation in sports, by division
- US: 45% students play sports, 29 Varsity sports offered, 38 teams fielded
- MS: 60% students play sports, 22 sports offered, 30 teams fielded
- LS: Approximately 650 K-5th graders participate in Gulliver Youth Sports.
- Experience in a similar position preferably at an independent school JK-12.
- Coaching experience in educational setting
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, leadership, problem-solving and communication skills
- Demonstrated initiative and energy; creativity and flexibility; support for others
- A bachelor’s degree is required; an advanced degree is a plus, as is a record of continuing professional development
Internal candidates who meet the qualifications for the position posted must submit a cover letter expressing interest and a resume to the Human Resources Department. EOE M/F/VD Drug Free Workplace.