Director of Construction & Project Management
Gulliver is a superior college preparatory school devoted to educational excellence, where students are inspired and challenged to reach their fullest potential. At Gulliver, character development is as important as academic achievement and we integrate community values into daily instruction. We are currently seeking a seasoned Director of Construction Project Management. This individual will spearhead multiple construction projects associated with the repair, maintenance, beautification and expansion of campuses consistent with our goals in order to meet 21st century learning initiatives.
The following are some of the essential/primary duties of the position:
- Develop project scopes and objectives, involving all relevant participants and ensuring technical feasibility.
- Manage multiple projects, extract synergies and coordinate the complex phasing/ongoing construction during the school year; ensure safety of Gulliver students and staff at all.
- Develop a detailed project plan to track progress and comprehensive project documentation; perform risk management to minimize project risks.
- Solicit bids, analyze, select, manage and ensure projects are value engineered/cost effective; prepare cost estimates, budgets, and work timetables.
- Track and report work progress/budget performance to management. Use appropriate verification techniques to manage changes in project scope, schedule and costs; ability to write reports regarding construction progress, methods and other items.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret blueprints and legal documents.
- Schedule and coordinate all construction processes so that projects meet optimal design specifications.
- Coordinate with general contractors, engineers, architects, other construction specialists, inspectors, attorneys and government agencies to ensure timely, efficient, compliance and progress and solutions. Interpret and explain contracts and technical information to other professionals.
- Respond to work delays, emergencies, and other problems and create solutions to keep projects on track; deliver projects on time within budget and scope.
- Manage our Master Plan process. From vision to design and construction, manage stakeholders, architects, general contractors, attorneys, zoning officials, permit offices, city, county and state offices as required. Extensive interaction with Senior Management and the Board of Trustees.
- Analytical skills. Outstanding problem solving skills. Able to handle unexpected issues and delays, and solve problems that arise over the course of the project. Must be able to achieve goals via additional paths or approaches to cost effectively solve problems.
- Business skills. Solid skills in planning and budgeting.
- Customer-service skills. In constant contact with Senior Management, inspectors, and other stakeholders. Must communicate work plans clearly.
- Decision-making skills. Ability to make well framed decisions quickly to meet deadlines and budgets.
- Leadership skills. Ability to effectively delegate tasks to construction workers, subcontractors, and other lower level managers. Excellent supervisory skills. Able to coach and mentor staff.
- Communication skills. Must give clear orders, explain complex information to construction workers and Management, and discuss technical details with other building specialists, such as architects.
- Negotiation skills. Expert negotiator programmed to get the best value at the best price.
- Technical skills. Must know construction methods and technologies, and must be able to interpret contracts and technical drawings.
- Time-management skills. Must be able to meet deadlines by ensuring construction phases are completed on time so that the next phase can begin as scheduled.
- Writing skills. Excellent writing ability for proposals. Plans and budgets. Ability to succinctly summarize complex issues and communicate with stakeholders.
Candidates for consideration must possess the following:
- Proven capability and direct experience managing high end, detailed construction projects of $15M+ construction value. Proven capability and knowledge of both civil and vertical construction means and methods.
- Expert in construction concepts.
- Excellent knowledge of building and safety codes, and other regulations.
- Skilled at getting the best out of people in the projects they oversee; able to push contractors, architects, et al to be creative, cost effective, efficient, and perform according to timelines and budgets.
- Bachelor’s degree in construction science, construction management, architecture, or engineering preferred.
- 15+ years experience as a General Contractor or in a Construction Project Manager role; School construction experience highly valued
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Microsoft Project.
All applicants need to submit a cover letter with salary history. EOE M/F/V/D Drug Free Workplace.