Director of Construction Management
Gulliver is seeking a seasoned Executive Construction Project Manager to manage multiple construction projects associated with the repair, maintenance, beautification and expansion of campuses consistent with 21st century learning initiatives. Over the next 10 years our school is expecting to invest in excess of $100M in construction projects.
Among the many duties and responsibilities duties will include:
- Develop project scopes and objectives, involving all relevant stakeholders and ensuring technical feasibility
- Manage multiple projects, extract synergies and coordinate the complex phasing/ongoing construction during the school year; Ensure safety of Gulliver students and staff at all times
- Develop a detailed project plans and budgets to track progress and comprehensive project documentation; Perform risk management to minimize project risks
- Solicit bids, analyze, select, manage and ensure all projects are value engineered/cost effective; Prepare cost estimates, budgets, and work timetables
- Track and report work progress/budget performance to management, Use appropriate verification techniques to manage changes in project scope, schedule and costs; Ability to write reports regarding construction progress, methods and other items.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret blueprints and legal documents
- Schedule and coordinate all construction processes so that projects meet optimal design specifications
- Coordinate with General Contractors, engineers, architects, other construction specialists, inspectors, attorneys and government agencies to ensure timely, efficient, compliance and progress and solutions; Interpret and explain contracts and technical information to other professionals
- Respond to work delays, emergencies, and other problems and create solutions to keep projects on track; Deliver projects on time within budget and scope
- Manage the implementation of our Master Plan. Responsibilities include overseeing the design and construction, managing stakeholders, architects, general contractors, attorneys, zoning officials, permit offices, city, county and state offices as required. Extensive interaction with Senior Management and the Board of Trustees.
- Project Manager (1)
- Proven capability and direct experience managing high end, detailed construction projects of $30M+ construction value. Proven capability and knowledge of both civil and vertical construction means and methods.
- Expert in construction concepts
- Excellent knowledge of building and safety codes, and other regulations
- Experience working under tight time commitments given the need to utilize the school during normal teaching hours
- Ability to forge significant relationships with school Administration in order to obtain relevant buy-in, coordination of scheduling due to normal school hour requirements, needs of children and faculty at certain campuses, etc.
- Skilled at getting the best out of people in the projects they oversee; Able to push contractors, architects, et al to be creative, cost effective, efficient and perform according to timelines and budgets
- Bachelors degree in construction science, construction management, architecture, or engineering preferred
- 15+ years experience as a General Contractor or in a Construction Project Manager role; School construction experience highly valued
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Microsoft Project
Other skills requirements
- Analytical skills. Outstanding problem solving skills. Able to handle unexpected issues and delays, and solve problems that arise over the course of the project. Must be able to achieve goals via additional paths or approaches to cost effectively solve problems.
- Business skills. Solid skills in planning and budgeting
- Customer-service skills. In constant contact with Senior Management, inspectors, and other stakeholders. Must communicate work plans clearly
- Decision-making skills. Ability to make well framed decisions quickly to meet deadlines and budgets.
- Leadership skills. Ability effectively delegate tasks to construction workers, subcontractors, and other lower level managers. Excellent supervisory skills. Able to coach and mentor staff.
- Communication skills. Must give clear orders, explain complex information to construction workers and Management, and discuss technical details with other building specialists, such as architects.
- Negotiation skills. Expert negotiator programmed to get the best value at the best price.
- Technical skills. Must know construction methods and technologies, and must be able to interpret contracts and technical drawings.
- Time-management skills. Must be able to meet deadlines by ensuring construction phases are completed on time so that the next phase can begin as scheduled.
- Writing skills. Excellent writing ability for proposals, plans, and budgets. Ability to succinctly summarize complex issues and communicate with stakeholders
- All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
- Individuals who cannot perform some of the requirements because they pose health or safety risks to themselves or other employees may be excluded from this position.
- This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employee will be required to follow any other job related instructions and to perform any other job related duties requested by the Supervisor.
- Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbent will possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” employment relationship. This statement does not apply to teachers or individuals having written.
Internal candidates who meet the qualifications for the position posted must submit a cover letter expressing interest and a resume to the Human Resources Department. EOE M/F/VD Drug Free Workplace.employment contracts.